Revision as of 10:07, 26 May 2020 by EricChadwick
How to create an artist portfolio for a career in game development.
- PortfolioContents - what Art Directors want for: Animator, Character Artist, Concept Artist, Environment/Prop Artist, Generalist, Technical Artist, User Interface Artist.
- How to Create a Stunning Portfolio, with Jared Sobotta - article | CGSociety
- Expert Tips on How to Create a Killer Digital Portfolio
- Your Portfolio Repels Jobs by Jon Jones describes the do's and don'ts of artist portfolios.
- GDC 2015 - Killer Portfolio or Portfolio Killer: Advice from Industry Artists (document here)
- Work at Bungie: Getting Past the Gatekeeper details how to make the best impression on Bungie's hiring manager. (Note: reels are not important any more, unless you're an animator or effects or UI artist. All her other advice is golden though!)
- NateWhitePortfolioAdvice by Nate White has a solid summary for recent graduates about what their portfolios need.
- What should be in your portfolio? Polycount forum thread.
- Frank advice about improving your portfolio from EarthQuake (and others) Polycount forum thread.
We suggest using ArtStation to create your portfolio. It's a great platform, easy to use, standardized, and offers a lot of exposure.
- Wren - Minimalist and free portfolio theme for Wordpress Polycount forum thread.
- Best Portfolio Website Builders Polycount forum thread.
- Need the best free website design site Polycount forum thread.
- Setting up a quick portfolio site Polycount forum thread.
- Quick portfolio site tips for 3D artists building their first site by James Taylor
- Model Presentation has tutorials and techniques for rendering your models.
- Category:Shaders has links to cool shaders for rendering your models.
- Where do you host your portfolio? Polycount forum thread on hosting sites, posts include prices and reviews.
- Category:Tools on the wiki lists which art software professionals use.
- Free or low cost 3D and 2D apps on the Polycount forum has advice about free and low-cost software to use.
Getting a Job
- Category:GameIndustry on the wiki has tips about getting and keeping a job as an artist in games.
Generalist vs. Specialist
- Difference between Environment and Prop Artists? Polycount forum thread
- Should portfolios demonstrate versatility? Polycount forum thread
- Percentage of environment artists .vs. character artists at most studios Polycount forum thread
- What's the difference between a level designer and environment artist? Polycount forum thread
- Lack of Environment Artists Polycount forum thread
- Recently hired in AAA? Show us your portfolio
- Game Art Portfolio Wall by Matt 'mats effect' Nelson
- Your favorite portfolio? on the Polycount forum has links to members' favorite artist portfolios.
- Polycounter portfolios wiki page has a partial list of members' portfolios.