Special Effects artists use particles, decals, glows, blooms, etc. to create explosions, clouds, skies, water, etc.
Also called FX, SFX, Visual Effects, VFX and Real-Time VFX.
Special Effects in games can generally be broken down into 3 categories:
- VFX for Games - Particle Effects (84MB zip) presentation delivered at SIGGRAPH 2012 by Crytek’s Sascha Herfort.
- VFX Artists subforum on Tech-Artists.Org
- imbueFX : VFX Training ($) training site for visual effects in games
- FX Artist resources?
- Inside DICE: Adapting the Battlefield visuals for Close Quarters combat
- Rendering Wounds in Left 4 Dead 2 by Alex Vlachos of Valve Software, at GDC 2010
- Faking Volumetric Effects in UDK by Stephen Jameson