Special Effects artists use particles, decals, glows, blooms, etc. to create explosions, clouds, skies, water, etc.
Also called FX, SFX, Visual Effects, VFX and Real-Time VFX.
Special Effects in games can generally be broken down into 2 main tasks:
Particle Systems in Game Engines
- VFX for Games Explained - 80.lv by Francisco García-Obledo Ordóñez.
- Elementalist Lux: 10 Skins in 30 Megabytes by Riot Games Engineering explains how the VFX system is optimized for League of Legends.
- VFX for Games - Particle Effects (84MB zip) presentation delivered at SIGGRAPH 2012 by Crytek’s Sascha Herfort.
- VFX Artists subforum on Tech-Artists.Org
- imbueFX : VFX Training site for visual effects in games, by Bill Kladis. Site closed, but resources are still available: Youtube uploads, Vimeo uploads.
- FX Artist resources?
- Inside DICE: Adapting the Battlefield visuals for Close Quarters combat
- Rendering Wounds in Left 4 Dead 2 by Alex Vlachos of Valve Software, at GDC 2010