Difference between revisions of "User Interface"
(Created page with "Topics about creating user interfaces for games. == User Interface Forum Threads == * [http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97507 UI Designer] - Polycount forum th...")
Revision as of 00:37, 5 August 2014
Topics about creating user interfaces for games.
User Interface Forum Threads
- UI Designer - Polycount forum thread
- UI and Graphic Design - Polycount forum thread
- Interface design - Polycount forum thread
- UI Artist Portfolio - Polycount forum thread
- UI Artist Portfolio - Tips - Polycount forum thread
User Interface Resources
- Beyond the HUD (.PDF) - A research paper on User Interfaces for Increased Player Immersion in FPS Games
- Game UI Discoveries : What Players Want - Touches upon things mentioned in the paper above.
- Scaleform UDK Tutorial - An 11-part tutorial which covers the basics of creating UI elements in Scaleform using UDK.
- PSDTuts+ Interface Tutorials - Interface-related online tutorials to get you started.
- UI Design, Taking The Good With The Bad - An interesting article on the need for compromise when designing UIs.
- ASGamer - Flash Game Development Tutorials.
- Game UI - Informative slides on game UI by David Farrell (Glasgow Caledonian University).
- Joel on Software: User Interface Design For Programmers - In a fun and entertaining way, Spolky makes user interface design easy for programmers to grasp. Simple logical rules to improve any user interface, how to design interfaces with the user in mind, and the important principles that underlie all good UI design.
- Games Industry Mentor - VFX & UI - Games Industry Podcast, with a feature on VFX & UI.
- The Path to Game UI Design - Caryn Vainio's five-part feature on how to become a UI Designer.
User Interface Inspiration
- Game UI Tumblr - A Tumblr filledwith HUDs / UIs from games.
- 'No HUD' concept - A list of games which have a minimal/no HUD approach.
- 'HUDdie' concept - HUD elements, such as health or ammunition, which appear physically on the player characters outfit, objects, equipment and weapons
- HUDs and GUIs - A collection of the most beautiful and innovative examples of HUD (Heads-Up Display) and GUI (Graphical User Interface) design across different mediums.
- Diegetic Interface - A list of games with interface elements that are a part of the game universe.
- Scaleform Game Reel (2011) - Showcases games which use Scaleform. A good point of reference when looking into games which have more interesting HUD/UI.
- Dead Space 2 Dev Diary - A video covering Visceral Games approach towards their HUD.
- Interface Design in Vanquish - Development Diary for Platinum Games which covers their approach towards the HUD for Vanquish.
- UI Design in Singularity - Development Diary from Raven Software which covers their approach towards creating the UI for Singularity.
- The Art of Video Game Title Screens - A Tumblr with 'Start Screen' menus for various games.
- The Art Of Interface Design at Harmoix Music Systems - GDC presentation by Harmonix on their approach to UI.
- Designing the Warhammer Online UI - A detailed description of the approach on the UI for Warhammer Online.
- Designing the Star Wars : The Old Republic UI - A detailed description of the approach on the UI for SW:TOR.
- PrettyLoaded - Loading screen inspiration.
Graphic Design Resources
- Computer Arts Tutorials - A useful selection of tutorials to help you get to grips with a variety of programs.
- Symbol - A massive book detailing symbols used in logotypes.
- Los Logos - Part of a series of books; filled with hundreds of pages containing logos.
- Dos Logos - Part of a series of books; filled with hundreds of pages containing logos.
- Tres Logos - Part of a series of books; filled with hundreds of pages containing logos.
- Information is Beautiful - A book which shows how all kinds of information can be presented visually in different ways.
- VideoCopilot Tutorials - A huge list of useful After-Effects tutorials.
Graphic Design Inspiration
- 99Designs - A site with competitions covering all areas of graphic design. A good starting point if you want to build up a portfolio whilst working on live briefs.
- Abduzeedo - A good site which often has tutorials as well as daily inspiration.
- AisleOne - Daily inspiration related to graphic design.
- Art of the Title - A compendium and leading web resource of film and television title design from around the world.
- FormFiftyFive - Design inspiration from around the world.
- Logopond - A hub for logos being created by Designers across the world. Good to follow when keeping up with the trends.
- Motionographer - Daily inspiration related to motion graphics / graphic design.
- Dribbble - Daily inspiration related to graphic design.