A detail map is used to create up-close high-frequency details.
It is combined in the shader with a regular texture, except using a higher amount of UV tiling so it makes smaller pixels. Mip Mapping allows the detail texture to fade out at a medium distance to hide tiling artifacts.
- Detail color textures in Battlefield 2 - by David "Fenring" Wahlberg
- Detail color textures in UnrealEngine2 - by Epic Games
- Detail color and normal map textures in CryEngine2 - by Crytek
- Detail color and normalmap textures in Overgrowth - by Wolfire Games
- Multitexturing in MotoGP - by Climax Group
- Blending methods for detail textures - from the Polycount forum