A curvature map is a texture that stores the convexity/concavity of the mesh. Also called Concavity, Convexity, Pits & Peaks, Worn Edge.
A Cavity map is different, it stores ambient occlusion which is limited to small crevices only.
Curvature can be used to mask where the surface would get more wear or where sub-surface scattering might occur (convex), where it might accumulate more dirt (concave), to check for surface continuity, etc.
- Curvature to Vertex Color Modifier using Max Creation Graph.
- Worn Edges Using A Distorted Vertex Map by Neil Blevins. A 3ds Max tutorial what uses his script cornerEdgeToVertexMap to color the convex edges as VertexColor, and creates a procedural material to get chipped edges.
- tc_curvature by Tom Cowland. A Mental Ray shader for calculating surface curvature.
- Tension Modifier by Grant Adam. A modifier for 3ds Max that creates color data for Compression, Expansion, Concavity, and Convexity.
- Cavity render tool in TexTools for 3ds Max.
- corner vertex baking - maya mel/python Polycount Forum thread.
- r7_vertCurvature.py by 'rebb'. A Maya script that bakes concavity/convexity into VertexColor.
- Convexity tool in Xnormal