Face weighted normals
Face weighted normals (FWN) is a technique to improve shading for 3d models. Shading can be improved by adding bevels and altering the vertex normals to be perpendicular on the larger flat polygons. This forces the shading to be blended across the smaller bevel faces, rather than across the entire model.
However, the added bevels will often create long thin triangles, which can significantly reduce rendering performance. See Counting Quads.
- I'm an tech artist in the industry and I'd love to clear up some misconceptions about rendering and game art workflows that I frequently see in comments from SC fans
- Decal technique from Star Citizen Polycount Forum thread
- A short explanation about custom vertex normals (tutorial) Polycount Forum thread
- Face weighted normals Polycount Forum thread
- Weighted Vertex Normals
- FrostSoft: SHADING INTERPOLATION (VNT documentation/ Superspecular soft edges)
- Superspecular soft edges tutorial chapter 1 Polycount Forum thread
- 3ds Max: wnormals by Martijn Buijs
- Blender: Normal Editor by Blend4Web
- Maya: mig Normal Tools by Mika Göös